Sunday, December 4, 2011

Throwing my kid under the bus

Okay, maybe I did, maybe I didn't. Feel free to chime in. My kids are rock stars and have run dozens of 5Ks. James even talked me into running a 10K with him over the summer (despite my better judgment).

They are 8 and 10. I love that they run. I love that they get racing (they will push to pain, which I find amazing). And I love running with them.

Last week, I toyed with racing a 5K and James said, Mom, will you run with me? Of course.

Today was different. I told the boys to get rest (which they did - and were fired up). I woke them up and they were ready to go. Although James was up for breakfast #2 just before we were leaving. And was hoping for a PR. Bad idea. Did he listen? Nope.

We headed off to Stoughton and it was colder than I thought it would be. We went to the start of the race and we were all fired up. Took off, and James was like a bullet. First half mile at a 6 minute pace. I held back and tried to reign him in when he'd look back for me, but to no avail. I caught him by about .75 and he was already hurting. He pled with me to run with him, and for the first 1.2ish I did. But then I left him in my dust. And I feel a little bad about that, BUT: I have always tried to teach my kids that negativity is the worst thing in races. They get it, they have embraced it. I told my son I wanted to run - so I did.

I finished (slow) but it was sweet to have such a big negative split in a 5K! Then I ran out, found James and ran him in. He was mad at me at first, but then told me he got it and how happy he was. John told him he should have listened to his mom and not eaten that second breakfast, or gone out at a 6 minute/mile. He agreed. He is not ready.

YET.

<3

Not that I am biased, but my kid(s) are awesome. Just sayin'

1 comment:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

You're kids ARE awesome and so are you! Love that you share this - the love of running and racing - with them!