Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Running on Time

So training for marathon #13 has begun for me and I have pretty radically switched things up.

I am not acclimated to it. But I am trying to embrace it. I hired a local coach to guide me through the next few months before the Wisconsin Marathon. It is a new adventure.

Philosophies & Take-Aways

FIRST, he is applying the Daniels philosophy to training paces, which means phase 1 = pick up the easy pace. I often run my easy pace between a 9 and 9:20 mile (often veering into the 9:30s and 9:40s if I want to call it a recovery run) early on in training. Nope, not anymore. My prescribed pace is between 8:45 and 9:00 for all "base/easy" runs.

Take-aways: It is hard to run the same pace EVERY run. I am used to mixing it up. But I get it. I am supposed to get used to it. And I am. It is feeling much easier this week than it was 10 days ago.

SECOND, during base training (at least now), I am running ALL miles at the same prescribed pace.

Take-aways: See above. This is a big adjustment. I love mixing it up. Running fast/running slow. I am trying to embrace this (/repeats). :)

THIRD, I am running by time. No holds barred, I admit (sorry Joe), I HATE this. Really. I HATE it. I have run thousands of miles in these parts. I know distances on these roads by the .05. Gah, but 40 minutes/50 minutes? I am checking my Garmin all.the.time. I am, however, trying to embrace it (as best I can). Really. I am trying.

Take aways: Set pace + minutes means I am looking at my watch way too much. This means I am WAY less relaxed then I am when running on the self-coached clock. I love running because my mind wanders, I contemplate what I am doing that day and solve all of the world's problems (ha!) during my run. Not now. I have to focus A LOT. Which makes me understand (and appreciate my coach as to) why I am (probably) at point # 4.

FOURTH, I am running very low mileage (gah). Seriously. Usually I don't balk at jumping into 40/50 mile weeks from slacker mode. Nope. Not this time. 20s/30s/the last 2 weeks and this week looks like it will be in the low 40s. Yes, this too is uncomfortable for me, but I see why. Early on, my R achilles was yelping some. This seriously worried me because I haven't had that problem in moons (4 years?). Running all runs (too) fast(er) - yes, it is an issue. But now, I feel great. I think the slow ramp-up into this new easy pace is good.

Take aways: I am definitely outside of my comfort zone. But hell, it shouldn't be comfortable or easy if I am paying someone to change it up for me, right?


I like my coach, I am optimistic.

BRING IT.



Oh, and happy, happy holidays!

3 comments:

Jen Jones said...

Have fun with the new plan. Be careful of the achilles!

Have you discussed what your mileage will be like as the training progresses? Talk it over with your coach, find out the long term plan if things go as planned/you remain healthy. That should give you some some comfort moving forward.

PS: I remember Dick upping my "easy" day pace a while back--I thought there was no way it'd be able to still hit my workouts. He was right (as always) and I adapted perfectly and quickly, I just needed a gentle shove out of my comfort zone. (...that in no way was a contributing factor to my mangled hip! The exploding hip was brewing long before I even began running from what I've been told)

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

SO excited for you having a new coach. I totally up'ed my easy pace when I started training with the coach/group last time around and I LOVED it. Now my easy paces are 8:30 - 8:45ish and I feel way more comfortable with them. I do still do the recovery paced runs about once a week and i have found that those feel really good (and necessary) too. Can't wait to watch your progress!

joe positive said...

that's interesting about upping your training pace, and it sounds like you're going about it the right way, starting with lower mileage. I have always tended to run my recovery/easy runs very slowly, but every attempt to pick up the training pace has resulted in injury. After reading your post, I realize why - I was starting from already-moderate/higher mileage and not making any adjustment for the faster pace. D'oh! Anyway, keep us posted, please!