Sunday, December 18, 2011

Feeling the Fire in My Belly

Yeah!

So last week I mentioned how uncomfortable my training is. It still is, but it is definitely getting more comfortable. The time versus distance thing is not really a big deal and my paces are feeling WAY easier (for the most part).

I have thought back to seasons past and my fastest/strongest races were definitely when I was running faster in every day paces. But general knowledge, at least as I knew it, was that there was a serious law of diminishing returns. If you run your easy runs too fast, you don't get much benefit, but you seriously up the ante for potential injury. I lived by that rule. Not anymore. I am feeling optimistic about it though. Hopeful. And thankfully, have no signs of injury at all. (The achilles thing totally dissipated)....

To answer Jen, yes, I have talked to my coach and I greatly trust in my plan. My post lamenting my comfortable training was simply that - taking note of all that is no now longer comfortable! I will keep the base building (aka pick up the easy pace training Mindi) for 2 more weeks. Then I start my workouts. And he'll boost me up into mileage per normal - just with more precision than I was doing before. Cool.

So without further adieu, here was my week (all miles were supposed to be b/w 8:45 and 9:00 pace):

M: 0. Was scheduled for 40:00 minutes, but I had to go in super early to make up for not working over the weekend.

T: 40:00 - 4.55 (8:54 pace) - making up for Monday as this was meant to be a rest day.

W: 1:10:00 - 8 (8:52) pace

R: 40:00 - 4.72 (8:26) - woo hoo! It was 40 degrees and awesome!

F: Big 0. Scheduled for 70 minutes, but Thursday was Johnny's birthday. We had a Christmas party and then went out with good friends until way too late. There was no way I was getting up at 4:30 am and Jake had a basketball game at 6, so no time for a run. Decided to spread it out over the weekend workouts.

Sa: 1:30:00 - 10.25 (8:48) - Strong, solid run. It was awesome weather, although the footing was a bit iffy in spots thanks to the new layer of snow.

Su: 2:00:00 - 13.5 (8:55) - Okay, this run was harder. My heart rate was super elevated, but I hung in there and got the miles in. Suddenly feeling thankful that I am increasing this pace thing with lower miles. :) I am sure it didn't help we went out again last night to celebrate our anniversary. Dinner out + wine never helps a long run (but it does make for fun celebration).

Total: 6 hours and change --> 41 miles.

I am excited. I am also feeling very thankful for my husband and kids as we glide into another holiday season. I really couldn't ask for more and I am trying to consciously take stock of that. Life can change at a moment's notice. This moment is perfect. And I am incredibly, incredibly thankful for that.

Peace to you all.

BTW: The title of my blog was meant to convey my enthusiasm for my training right now! I tried to Google some images for "fire in my belly" - um, yikes. That is not what I meant. Just sayin. Carry on...

2 comments:

Jen Jones said...

Glad you are having fun and confident in the new direction!!! Communication, individualization and comfort are key to an awesome coach/athlete relationship! Rock on!

Haha, my worst Google ever was when I saw an awesome silver fox when running by the beach one day (I had no idea we had those so far east and south). Googling "florida silver fox" and not putting in the word "wildlife" led to some VERY scary pictures, I haven't been the same since :)

Theia said...

LOL @ Jen!!

Glad you're enjoying your running so much right now!