Friday, December 30, 2011

The last coupla weeks

Yes, again, I have been terrible at blogging. That is the bad news. The good news is that the reason for my crappy blogging is that life has has been too full to allow it. Exploding full. And I'll tell you more about that in a New Year's type of post (hopefully).

For now, the mission is to tell you about my training.

RECAP: (Since I suck at keeping this up to date). New coach has me picking up the easy pace. Miles have been lower, but pace is a good 20-40 secs faster than I usually do early in the season. Typically, I slack for a month or so after a goal marathon. Then I start base-building and my paces are between 9:10-9:40 minute mile. I am feeling pretty swift if I am at 9. In shape. And by the end of training, hopefully I am logging some 8:40s; 8:45s for long and/or easy runs.

Now, I am trying to pick it up. I have been running with my new coach since December 1, so this is a new gig. Since that time, all miles should be between 8:45 and 9:00 pace. The idea is to pick it up a bit obviously. The first few days were rough. The next were rougher. But now this pace is easy. As I have a cut-back week this week, too easy. By design, I'm sure. But it is sweet to be knocking out 8:20 miles without the old HR going too crazy. I am still at just under 50 mpw (this week even lower as a cutback week), but I am feeling confident. Really confident. Each week, I see my paces drop as my effort stays the same. Pretty sweet.

Mixing things up and looking forward to a new season ahead!

Recaps:

WEEK OF 12.19

M: rest
T: 50 minutes = 6 miles (8:36 pace)
W: 80 minutes w/ 4 striders = 9.3+ miles (8:49/6:17 paces)
R: 40 minutes = 4.6 miles (8:48 pace)
F: 80 minutes w/4 striders = 9.3+ miles (8:50/6:03 paces)
Sa: 40 minutes = 4.6 mi (8:49)
Su: 2:05:00 = 14 mi (8:55)

Total: 47.9

WEEK OF 12. 26 (cut-back week)

M: rest
T: 30:00 = 3.6 (8:42) - warm, but awesome Florida weather!
W: 60:00 = 7.5 (8:34) - awesome, cool Florida weather!
R: 30:00 + 4 striders = 4ish miles (8:22; 6:43)
F: 60:00 = 6.7 (8:58) - back to the cold, slippery and windy. Boo. But nice to be home......

2 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

I LOVE the faster paces that I do regularly now too. I know you will see a huge difference come race day! Can't wait to hear about the other life stuff you have going on too!

Mindi said...

Cindi - yes, I have thought about you much during this new cycle and I hope to have as much success as you. Even if I don't, I love the confidence each daily run brings!