Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Track Workout No. 3

And it was only 70 degrees tonight! Since it was my third track workout, and I am now 2 weeks into training, I am starting to feel slightly more snappy than sluggy.

It helped that tonight's workout was shorter, speedier stuff.

I was able to blast out of work by 5, so I ran 3 easy as a warm up. We then did .5 as a warm up as a group and a boatload of drills and striders. It is fun getting back into drills. While I do striders a lot on my own, I very rarely do drills.

The first part of the workout was 300m fast with 100m jog recovery x 4. We were supposed to be faster than 5K pace, but slightly slower than mile pace. I have no idea how fast I went as I had no watch, but all felt good and hard, but not killer hard.

Next we did relays. We were partnered up and the idea was to run a mile relay in 200m segments. I would run 200m; pass my "baton" off to my partner, and then jog across the track to do it again once he completed his 200 meters. We used a banana as a baton. The point was to stay loose and not squeeze it or bruise it. My partner and I hit 5:48 for our first relay mile.

We kicked it up a notch for the second mile and came in at 5:29. Again, I did not time any of my splits, but I was working pretty hard and enjoyed the workout.

My calves are already feeling it tonight, but I am pleased that I feel I am starting to turn the corner - even if only slightly.

Onward and upward.

* Oh, and check out my new racing shoes. They are super lightweight and fun. I wore them tonight for the first time.

1 comment:

Theia said...

Woohoo! The banana relay sounds like fun! :)