Sunday, July 10, 2011

I'm back!

Wow. It has been over 2 months since I have checked into Blogger to give an update. If you still bother to check in on me from time to time, thanks and my apologies for falling off.

I never did write up a race report for the Eugene Marathon. Which is too bad. While my time was less stellar than the goal I was shooting for, we had a great trip to Oregon and the race itself was top notch. I highly, highly recommend it. The recap version is I don't know what happened. No injury, no big blow up. I just couldn't maintain the pace. I honestly think it was all the traveling. I underestimate how much that can affect everything. The good news is that my next marathon is local. Or mostly local. I am in for Chicago 2011, which is only a 2.5 hour drive from here. Do no time change, no long flights and layovers. Local.

So you ask what kind of training I have been doing? Nada. Niente. Nothin. As soon as I got back from Eugene, work kicked into overdrive and I was working weekends and crazy long hours. I almost even forgot what my kids looked like. Instead of getting up at 4:3o am to run, I was going into work. Finally, things settled down in mid June and we took a fabulous vacation to Jackson and Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. It was the most amazing trip. The kids were great and super fun. The weather was perfect. We hiked, kayaked, rafted, road tripped, went horseback riding and made campfires. But very little running. It may be irrational, but I refused to be the sorry fool running through trails in a national park by myself in the early morning scaring grizzlies. Nope. And speaking of grizzlies, we saw a mama grizzly with her 3 cubs 3 different times. It was pretty awesome. And buffalo, pronghorns, moose (although I never did see a big bull moose), elk, bald eagles, pelicans. James even caught a "whistle pig." Incredible. Fun. Awesome.

I am now recharged. And training. It's certainly time.

I logged 36+ miles last week and hit 48 this week. I also started my miler in training program at the track. Good lord it has kicked my butt too. I am slow and out of shape. And I need to lose 10 lbs. But one thing at a time. Right now, the goal is to get back out there and start ramping back up.

Oh yeah, and I also have Tough Mudder in less than 2 weeks. Given my current fitness level, I am somewhat terrified. But, I know we'll have a blast and it will be good to give my body a big ol' kick in the pants.

3 comments:

Theia said...

Cute picture! Do the Tough Mudder for fun. Nothing else. It's not like it's a course you can PR on anyway, so why not take all the pressure off and just go do it?

As for your training otherwise, way to jump right back in! :)

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Welcome back! I still have you in my google reader. :-)

Look forward to tracking your progress!

Mindi said...

Thanks ladies! Yeah, I am planning to do Tough Mudder solely for fun, but it looks pretty crazy hard, so even for fun has me a little worried!