Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

The Good: I was scheduled for 56 miles this week and ran just a tad over 57.5. Even better, I was able to run all of them outside! :)





The Bad: Another nasty scourge has descended upon my family. It has been another long, sick winter. I have a nasty head cold, chest cold, and correspondingly unhappy stomach. Yuck. My kids are both a mess too. My littlest one got a rash all over his body and the skin started peeling off of his fingers. Thought it was an allergic reaction at first, but it didn't get better with Benadryl. I made the mistake of Googling his symptoms and saw it could be all sorts of awful (life-threatening) diseases. So off we went to the after-hours doc on Friday night. Turns out he had strep throat and we never knew it. Although that is gone, they gave him antibiotics to ensure he doesn't get rheumatoid fever. Sheesh.

The Ugly: Whoooo. That would be today's long run! I was scheduled for the notoriously difficult 17 miles with 14 at marathon pace. Um, it was 33 degrees, pouring rain and winds 15-18 mph, gusting up to 30 mph. Weather channel said "feels like 21." Felt like PAIN to me. Seriously. There were times the wind literally look my breath away and my shoes each felt like they weighed 30 lbs. I almost wimped out several times, but fortunately (and somewhat miraculously), I didn't. Logged an average 7:54 pace, last mile at 7:32. My goal MP is 7:45, so given the conditions, I would call this a success. An ugly success. But success nonetheless.

Week 13 Recap:

M: rest
T: 8 (8:26)
W: 5.78 (9:18)
R: 9 with 5x1000 meters; 2 min recoveries (recap in prior post)
F: 12 (8:58)
Sa: 5.78 (9:15)
Su: 17 w/14 at MP (7:54)

Total: 57.5

3 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Nice week again! So glad you were able to get outside for all the miles too. Running outside makes crappy runs seem less crappy.

joe positive said...

your long run went a dang sight better than mine did, and I don't even have the weather to blame. Nice job. This is gonna pay off big.

Mindi said...

@Greg - no only the 14 miles were at 7:54. I did an easy 3 mile w/u.

@Cindi - thanks! The wind was so harsh I thought about taking it in and running on the tm - then I came to my senses and realized how freakin awful that would be - I'd rather have piercing rain and 30 mph winds than 14 on the tm at race pace!

@Joe+ - boy do I hope so! I just hope race day weather is not like today...Training for April marathons is tough