Sunday, November 16, 2008

A down month

So I originally had great hopes of recovering, doing low mileage and speed work in an attempt to have a fast Turkey day race. Well it looks like the plan has changed. Between the weather change (cold!) and my obvious need for rest (more mental than physical), I have had a VERY low mileage, low intensity month.

It has been really nice to have the break. I get so geared up in training mode - It is nice to have a few weeks to say, "I'm just not going to get out there today."

The weather has turned very cold. Last Tuesday it was 17 degrees when I ran at 5:00 am! With the cold weather, my arthritic R knee has really acted up. I have missed several days in an attempt to let the inflammation calm down. This happens every year, but is always very alarming anyway. I have been doing a good job with the pilates and that always helps. Yesterday I was in a TON of pain, but today is much better. I hope to log a "longish" run - maybe in the range of 8 to 12 miles. We will see. I have had a VERY slacker weekend and haven't done a whole lot of anything. Although I have pulled out the crock pot in the cold weather - yesterday I made Chili and today we have lentil soup simmering. What a welcome treat! :)

The good news is that I finally sat down and wrote up a schedule for my spring marathon! I start training on December 7.

I am excited about the upcoming arrival of Salty's baby - it should be any day now!

And Greg must be getting into his taper - rest up!!!

Update: I ran 12 today and the knee felt great! Yay! And as I updated my running log, I realized I did a little more than I had thought. I am slow, but I am moving:

M: rest/pilates
T: 5.83 (9:15) / pilates
W: rest/pilates
R: 4.02 (9:40) / pilates
F: 5.81 (9:33)
Sa: rest/pilates
Su: 12.04 (9:50)

Total: 27.7 miles

3 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

So do you just make up your own training plan? Is it based off of something/someone?

Hope your knee is feeling better.

Greg said...

That's a professional looking schedule you have there -- quite the excel whiz. The schedule looks very Pfitz 18/55ish,if I were to guess. I'm not sure I could do those 8-15k race Sat, 17 Sunday. I've done it before, but I don't want to think about it again!

I hope the knee gets better. It looks like you're doing all the right things to be healthy. Enjoy the lower december mileage and save some lentil soup for me!

Mindi said...

This schedule it the Pfitzinger 18 week / up to 55 miles schedule from the Advanced Marathoning book. It is a very solid schedule, IMO.

The race day then long run can be tough, but I often find mixing the race into a long run can be even harder.

The lentil soup smells heavenly!!