Monday, June 2, 2008

What fall marathon are you running?

Now that I finished Mad City and my spring training, I am naturally looking at "what is next?" I am definitely planning to train for the Capitol Mile again. Hopefully I can PR or at least stay under 6 minutes. We will see how the summer progresses. I also want to run a fall marathon - this time training properly for it. I had thought about Chicago, but of course it is closed. There is one here in the Fox Cities, but it is in mid-September and that seems a bit risky weather-wise. I am a total wimp in the heat and would rather err on the likelihood of a 25 degree day than an 85 degree day. So, I am looking for a nice, flat course in October. Any suggestions?
What marathons are you running this fall and why?

12 comments:

Adam said...

www.whistlestopmarathon.com.

Mindi said...

I am seriously considering Whistlestop too. I signed up for it in 2006, but it snowed about 11 inches of snow a couple days before the race - since it is a trail race, it is not easy to clear. And since I had trained my butt off for a BQ, I changed plans and went to Des Moines. But this is one I am thinking about.....

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Twin Cities 10/5/08. Running it because it's my first one and I want my family/friends here for my first one. (I know you already ran TCM though and didn't have a pleasant experience with the heat!)

sage said...

I ran Whistlestop last year as my first marathon. I might be thinking about doing it again.

Get gaiters, though.

keith said...

I hear Moose Mountain Marathon in September is ULTRA flat. You should try that!

joe positive said...

akron akron akron!

come to akron!

bryan said...

Twin Cities Marathon. Don't worry, the heat last year was a total fluke. And yeah, you better watch that yearly mileage, or it will get pwned when you least expect it!

Kel said...

I'll be doing the ultra flat and smooth as glass Moose Mountain marathon with Keith.

Unknown said...

Mindi - Twin Cities is a good fall marathon! Flat and fast (and like Bryan said, the weather last year was a total fluke).

I have Chicago on my race calendar . . . I love running in my backyard!

Bridget

A Deal Or No Deal said...

None! Marathons are for chumps.

AddictedToEndorphins said...

If you wanna travel, Toronto has 2 good marathons in September/October. (No, its not snowy ALL the time:P) The Scotiabank Toronto waterfront Marathon is nice and flat. I haven't run this one before, but I'll be running it this year. Apparently the only hill is one about half way through.
IT's flat and fast:)

The Toronto one, I haven't looked too much into. It's pretty much downhill.

The Salty One said...

Akron!!! Not flat, but you'll have a friend or two along the course to cheer you on :) And seriously, it is one of the best organized and most fun races around. Oh, and all finishers get a free pair of brooks!