Sunday, June 8, 2008

Still Undecided . . .

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions for the Fall. I *almost* decided on Akron (even wrote up a schedule), but then decided against it. It is just too soon. If I run that, I needed to start training 2 weeks ago. Yeah, I know I can knock a couple of weeks off. However, I really want to train well this summer and quite frankly, I'm not so sure I am ready to be marathon training yet. It is 2 weeks from the Madison Marathon. I am feeling good and I logged 30 miles this week. HOWEVER, I am not acclimated to this weather (in fact it is kicking my butt) and I'm just not sure I want to rush anything. Oh yeah, and I really think I would prefer October. September is just pushing it IMO. I am a big wimp in the heat. :)

SO, I am thinking of Lakefront Marathon (Milwaukee), Des Moines (I already did this, but good timing and great course), Grand Rapids (ditto), Wine Glass, Baltimore, Steamtown and Columbus (yes, I know Salty hates this one, but it is good timing, not too far and looks like a relatively flat course). So there it is. I have no idea. I am hoping by next weekend I will figure it out and get the training program going. If you have any comments or experience with any of these, fire away. I generally like the smaller/medium sized marathons better.

This week was good, but the first week we have had warmer temps (80s) and humidity. It is weird because you go from painfully dry and cold to warm and humid very quickly and it is a BIG adjustment. I don't know how I ran in Florida. But I know in a couple of weeks I will get acclimated. For now I am half dead on each of my runs.

The good news is that my garden is growing (we planted it on Memorial day) - we have corn, spinach, brocolli, sugar snap peas (my fave), bell peppers, cucumbers, celery and tomatoes planted. Yum. AND my flowers are fab now. Peonies are breaking out this weekend along with Irises and lots of wild flowers. It is so nice after such a LONG winter!!

We had a fun weekend. Lots of running around (despite wicked crazy storms) and took the boys to Kung Fu Panda. Lots of fun. I start my training for the Capitol Mile on June 17. I am SO looking forward to getting back to the track!!

Oh yeah, and to my scrabulous challengers, sorry I have not been playing. It says I need to update FLASH. I tried to download it at least 10 times and followed all of the d@mn troubleshooting, but it still is NOT working. Hopefully it will at work. My home computer is somewhat dated. It is frustrating though b/c I am generally computer literate (not saavy, but I usually have no problems)....and I am very familiar with the Macromedia (now adobe) software. Must be Adobe. :) If anyone else encountered this and has suggestions, please bring them my way....

3 comments:

The Salty One said...

I love Columbus! Do Columbus! I just had a bad time of it last year, but that was the weather not the race. It's a great course. I might even try to sneak down to meet you if you do it! If I'm not too big to drive, that is! :)

The Salty One said...

PS We'll have to trade recipes for all our garden stuff this year! Besides the usual stuff, I got a ball canning set for my birthday so I hope to be canning up a storm :) Can't wait!

Don Kern said...

Run Grand Rapids! The race director is a great guy!

and the adventure continues....