Saturday, May 31, 2008

Race for the Cure

Today I ran the Madison Komen Race for the Cure. Yeah, it was a bit crazy to run a 5K just 6 days after a marathon, but this race is always very important to me. My friend Tania, who was diagnosed with breast cancer 2 years ago today, has been working very hard on getting a big team together! We had almost 180 people on our team this year and raised loads of money for breast cancer research.

The weather was picture perfect and it was such a fun event. I wasn't sure what to expect given my circumstances. I ran hard, but did not "race" like I would a 5k. It was funny because much of the course was the same as the last few miles of the Madison Marathon. Deja vu. I ended up with 22:40. I believe that is a personal worst for me for the 5K, but it was a lot of fun. Upon finishing, I found my husband and we began looking for our boys and our babysitter. All of a sudden I see the boys come sprinting down the last .3 stretch! They did the 1 mile walk and apparently they were RACING. It was so darn cute. I jumped in and ran with our babysitter while the boys blazed ahead. It was awesome. We hung around for a while with our friends and then headed home. About half an hour later, Tania came over with a huge trophy. We had the largest team! It was awesome! I gave her a big hug and congratulated her for all of her hard work.

Here is to all of the survivors and victims of breast cancer!

3 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Your personal worst is still speedier than my best! Sounds like it was a great day and congrats to your friend for putting together such a large team. Bet that was cute to see your boys charging in the walk!

Kel said...

Mindi - you rock :)

Anonymous said...

And, so what did the little tykes run??

I too ran a terrible 5k this weekend but cheered on my nephews in the 5k. The 12 year old ran an 8:30, while the 13 year old a 9:40. They have never run a race in their lives and are big baseball kids by trade. It's fun to watch kids race, especially since so often they're won by girls!