Sunday, November 18, 2012

Update

I haven't been posting much here because frankly, I haven't been running much.

You know that feeling when you finish an awesome goal race and you are pumped up and ready to continue with 110%?  But then reality creeps in and you have aches, pains, exhaustion, colds and you realize you need some more time off?

Yup, that's been me the last 6 weeks.  Chicago was amazing.  But it kicked my butt.  Seriously.  The last 2 weeks I had good intentions, but between work, the end of (a fabulous) Girls on the Run season, and a horrendous cold meant that I've been barely squeaking out the mileage.

Today I ran my first double-digit run since the Chicago Marathon.  It wasn't pretty, but it was motivating.

I have been training with my son, James, to run the Berbee Derby 10k on Thanksgiving morning.  It is his second 10k, but the first one he's trained for.  Our training has been imperfect with our colds and busy schedules, but I think we are going to have a blast.  Stay tuned.

After Berbee, training commences in full swing (yes, it was supposed to several weeks ago, but it didn't - I have been ignoring my coach wholly - sorry Joe!).  We are going to do some base building and then I am going to take a swing at some shorter distances.

Even though it is getting darker and colder, I am excited about this.  This is a new thing for me and I think it will be fun.  I just need to make sure I stay on track.  It is SO much easier to stay faithful to a 5 month marathon training program than it is to "a few months" of basebuilding before we start to focus.  But I can do it and I WANT to do it.

Have any of you successfully done this?

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Thanks for posting about your recovery! I did Twin Cities and I've been trying to get back in the swing of training but I'm just not mentally there. I was attributing it to being lazy, but maybe I'm just not recovered yet.

Mindi said...

You are welcome, Kathy! It is funny how long it actually takes - both physically and mentally! Good luck in whatever is next for you.

harada57 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.