Monday, September 10, 2012

cutThis week was really great.  Why?  It was a cut-back week and I felt like I needed one.  I also had 3 really short runs scheduled and got to run 2 of them with my husband!

While I scaled back mileage this week, there was no shortage on quality work.  I am in the final point of my training where I am hammering at or just faster than goal race pace quite a bit.  It isn't necessarily easy, but it is important.  I have one more monster training week (10 hours next week!) and then I will slowly start tapering off for the Chicago marathon, which is only four weeks away.

Fall has seemingly descended upon us and I am praying it stays.  I am not a big fan of the dark mornings, but the cool (non-humid) air is like gold.  Plus, 30 minute, quick runs in autumn weather are amazing for the soul after a couple of really hard training weeks.

Monday is my rest day, but I bucked the trend this week once again as it was Labor Day.  I had a crazy busy schedule this week with school starting, a new child care provider starting, Girls on the Run starting and football starting for my son this week, so with a holiday, you can bet I was going to run. We slept in and then I ran 30 minutes easy on the trail midday with my husband.  (3.4 miles / 8:53 pace).  It was warm, but he has had a back injury, so getting the running/unwind time was fantastic.

Tuesday was a rest day.  First day of school!

Wednesday I did my strength intervals.  This week it was 3 x 2 miles at 7:23 pace; .5 recoveries.  It was raining and lightly rumbling when I headed out in the wee hours.  By mile 1, the sky was lighting up and thunder was booming.  I was starting Girls on the Run that evening, so I knew it was now or never.  That meant I had to hit the dreaded treadmill.  I hate the treadmill, but am SO lucky to have one.  I threw on Spirit of the Marathon on my iPad and set the old mill to 8.1 mph (7:24 pace), so pacing was effortless and it wasn't too bad actually.  I put 10 miles in the books (8:03 average pace with 7:24 average pace for intervals).

Thursday I had another 30 minutes on tap and ran with my husband after work. (3.4 miles / 8:59 pace).  The good news is that I also did my arm weights for the first time in a LONG time.  My left shoulder had a nasty pull for months that wouldn't heal, so I backed way off.  Seriously it had been a problem for over 6 months.  Today - no pain - Yes!

Friday I had another big workout on tap.  75 minutes with 7 miles at goal marathon pace.  I was tired, a new head cold seemed to be settling in and it was crazy dark.  So I was worried this one may hurt.  The great news was that I felt fantastic!  I needed that!  (9.4 miles / 8:00 average pace / 7:42 pace for MP miles).

SaturdayI had 30 minutes again, but neither my husband nor my boys wanted to run, so I was on my own.  I slept in until 10:00 am, which was much needed after a few mornings seeing 4:30 am.  It was 70 degrees, but no humidity and was awesome!  (3.6 miles / 8:38 pace).  I also did my arm weights again with no pain.  After that, I went to my husband's band gig and shook my tailfeathers for a couple hours.  :)

Sunday  I had to get up very early after shaking said tailfeathers to get in a quality run before I had to work.  I was scheduled for one hour at 8:45 pace; 45 minutes at 7:30 pace.  I was tired, but it was 51 degrees and fabulous (even if windy) when I hit the roads.  For the first hour, I felt like a million bucks.  I averaged an 8:33 pace and my HR was nice and low.  The second portion wasn't so pretty.  I had a hard time hitting my paces (and actually didn't averaging 7:34) and my HR was out of control.  But I got it done and it was my 3rd workout this week of some speedy mileage.

Total: 43 miles

Today I worked all day (well, when I wasn't watching the Ironman runners) and then the family and I went down to spectate for the run portion.  Totally inspirational.  Although I have to admit, while I love watching this event, I have absolutely no desire to do it myself.  It takes a breed apart from myself.  I readily admit it.

1 comment:

Theia said...

The dark mornings are extra depressing for me this year since I didn't get to enjoy the light mornings much this summer. Boo!

Good job on your training, as always!