Sunday, September 16, 2012

Last Big Training Week is Done! Bring on the Taper!


Holy moly this week was crazy!  Work ramped up a notch, the boys had football, I had Girls on the Run AND I was scheduled for 10 hours of training time.  Intense training time.  I had to make some adjustments to fit everything in, but I got it done!  Woo hoo - it is now TAPER TIME for this girl!!

Monday is my rest day and that was a good thing because I was really buried with work.

Tuesday I was still buried at work AND I had to get home early to watch my son's first flag football practice.  That meant I had to get up at 3:30 am to fit in my run.  Seriously: 3:30 am.  I ran 9.4 miles (8:43 pace) and then high-tailed it into the office.  I don't normally run that early, but I do have to admit the darkness, stars and silence were pretty awesome.  I'll also admit I felt like a bit of a hypocrite since my post re the importance of getting good sleep published the same day and I was running off only 4.5 hours of sleep!  I really do believe in all I wrote, sometimes it is just impossible to execute.  ;)

Wednesday I was dragging.  Holy cow was I feeling Tuesday morning's 3:30 wake up call.  But no rest for the weary - I had lots to do, so again I was up bright and early (this time 5, not 3:30!) to log my "strength intervals."  I was scheduled for a 10 minute warmup; 2 x 3 miles at 7:23 pace; 10 minute cool down.  Well, this was REALLY hard and I couldn't quite hit my interval paces (7:35, 7:24, 7:24, 7:33, 7:41; 7:22).  That was a bit of a bummer, but unsurprising given how little sleep I was working off of.  Ended up with 9.3 miles total (8:02 average pace).

Thursday was another interesting day.  I had to work late Wednesday night to prepare a presentation I was giving on Thursday morning AND my poor son broke his wrist at football practice.  He and my husband did not get home until 10:30 and it was just a hectic evening.  So when dawn rolled around Thursday morning, I was hurting.  Thankfully I only had an hour easy on tap.  6.8 miles (8:50 pace).  I was scheduled for 40 more minutes in the evening, but I ended up having carpool duty for football and then had to work until 11 pm.

Friday was another early morning and I had marathon pace miles on tap!  10 minutes warm up; 8 @ goal marathon pace; 10 minute cool down.   The good news was that I nailed my marathon pace miles (7:40 pace) and added on 10 minutes to help make-up for my missed run.  11.2 miles (7:57 average pace).

Saturday - YAY - I could finally sleep in!  I slept until almost 9 am and then headed out for my run.  I was only scheduled for 75 minutes, but I needed to make up for some lost time.  So I ended up logging 11.5 miles (8:47 pace).  It was hot the last hour too so I was a bit spent.  Indulged in a nice little afternoon nap and then made sure I got to bed at a reasonable hour.

Sunday I got up at 6:00 am to get in my last long, long run.  I had 3 hours and 15 minutes on tap!  I admit I dilly-dallied about before getting out the door because, well, 3 hours and 15 minutes is a LONG time.  But I finally got moving and hit the pavement.  The first hour was awesome (50 degrees and overcast).  It was a little warmer the second hour, but manageable.  By the third hour+, it was 70 degrees and sunny and I really had to fight to keep my pace.  But fight I did.  22.3 miles (8:48 pace).

Total: 70.4 miles
Enough said.
Woot!  That is not only high mileage for me, but it also included a boat load of quality and all paces were well under the 9 minute mark.  I won't tell you I'm not tired, but I am feeling pretty excited I was able to do what I did!

2 comments:

Cindi Spence said...

Awesome week for you! I'm sure that 22 miler was hard not only from the heat in the last hour, but from 11+ mile runs the two preceding days! Way to get it all in.

Now get some sleep!:-)

(And I am always amazed at the timing of work and peak week - I had a crazy busy week too!)

Mindi said...

Thank you! Yes - it was hard and I was actually a little sore starting out which is always a little unsettling. Oh well, it is done!

I hope you get some good rest (and a calmer work week) too.