Saturday, July 14, 2012

Speed Work x 2 - Week 5 Recap

This week was a cut-back week for me which was probably needed as the ball of my left foot is sort of tender this week.  All-in-all, it was a chaotic, but good week.

Even though Tuesday night's track workout was a fail, we got our fast on this week in grand style!
Both boys looking way too happy to be at urgent care Tuesday night.

Wednesday morning I was still very rattled by the whole bleeding eyes thing and did not want to have to focus my mind on intervals.  So instead, I just took off and ran!  I ended up with 7 miles at 8:28 pace.   Guess I really needed to clear my head.  (My target easy pace is 8:45-9:00.) I thought about running 30 minutes easy in the afternoon to make up for some missed time, but Johnny invited me to happy hour instead.  Yes, please!

Thursday morning I got up ready to log my track work.  The workout du jour was 300s progressive (first 100 fast; 2nd 100 faster; 3rd 100 fastest).  I already had my starting line marked with chalk in front of our house and the 400 marked off down the road.  So during my warmup, I marked off chalk lines for the 300.  I did my drills (butt kicks; high knees; quick steps) then another warmup with pickups mixed in.  I then set off for my 6 x 300s.  Recovery was walking to the 400 line (so 100m walk).  Once I reached the line, I turned around and set off on another 300 back toward my house.  My times were (1:01, 1:04, 1:06; 1:04, 1:05; 1:04).  I wasn't particularly excited about my times or how I executed them (not quite progressive or too progressive - aka too slow at first), but what do you do?  I then did  2 x 150 hard (5:06; 4:50 paces) and a cool down.
Who needs a track when we have sidewalk chalk?

Thursday night John and I had a nice 2 mile walk on the trail.  His back has been hurting for months, but we did 2 minutes of easy jogging and he had no pain - big improvement!!

Friday I was feeling my Tuesday morning workout.  Oooh wee.  My hip flexors were definitely yelling a bit, which I guess is probably a good thing.  But I was insanely tired when the alarm went off at 5:15 again.  I dragged myself outside and got in 7 easy miles, but it took me a while to get to my target paces.

Since I was sore and super tired, I decided not to race on Saturday morning.  We all slept in a bit and the boys agreed to do their track workout.  I told them I'd get them started on it and then do my own run.  So we did a warm up; drills; pickups and then I got ready to start them on their 300s.  James really wanted me to run with him, so I said I would do one.  Well, I ended up doing 4.  :)  I stopped at that point, not wanting to overdo it.  James did all 6, however, and rocked them.  Jake, on the other hand, started complaining and I told him he didn't have to do it.  So he did part of the workout.  I didn't care - I was just glad he was out there doing something.  Believe it or not, my 300s were actually better this morning and I did a better job with running them progressively.  They were 1:01, 1:04, 1:01, 1:05 (the differences is the slight grading - downhill 1&3; slight uphill 2&4).  We then did our 150s and both of mine were at 4:50 pace.  James blew me away.
If you look closely, you can see
James and John down the road a bit further too.

The boys then went swimming and I continued on for a cool down + 4 x hills at sub-5k pace (6:11; 6:44; 6:25; 6:25).  It wasn't easy - particularly since it was getting really hot - but I felt very strong.  And pretty badass for getting in such a solid workout.  Woot.  
Intervals can be a family affair.  :)

Sunday I did not get up early and paid for it on my run.  It was already "feels like" 94 and full sun when I started.  I had a 9.6 mile sufferfest (8:58 pace), but I got it done.  Then later in the afternoon John and I went on a 7.5 mile bike ride.  Cycling in the heat is WAY easier than running in the heat.

Total: 36 miles running; 2 miles walking; 7.5 cycling.  

No comments: