Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Debacle

Serious debacle.  That was our one mile race this morning, which is unfortunate.  For the last 3 years, we have participated in the Freedom Run in DeForest.  Last year, James and I ran his first 10K there.  However, in 2010, we ran the mile race as a tune-up race to the Capital Mile.

This year we wanted to do the same thing (tune-up mile race).  Of course it wasn't our goal mile race, but it would give us an indicator as to where we are half way through our miler training.  We knew it was going to be a really hot one, but we were all excited and ready to go.

My youngest son Jake was particularly excited.  That is because the age groups were 5-9, 10-13, 14-17, and 18+.  This meant he was the oldest in his age group (9).  Even better, he finally got to run a race where he wasn't in the same age group as his brother.  So he was gunning for the AG award this morning.


The boys talked one of their best buds into running with us too.  So we all packed up and headed to the race.  It was a hot one.  Full sun, 84 degrees and enough humidity to make it "feels like" 94.  Yuck.  I told James I was SO happy we were not running the 10k this year.

We got registered and verified that the 5k/10k started first, then the one mile start was five minutes later.  We headed to the start and watched the 5k/10k take off.  Just as the last runners/walkers crossed, however, a few kids started lining up and the starting line volunteer started the race.  Wait - what?  We were all confused, and we weren't even lined up.  So we jumped in and started running.

The problem?  We were of course behind all the strollers and back-of-the-packer 5k/10kers.  There were a lot of runners too, so we couldn't get around them.  About .25 in, we stopped and said this couldn't be right. But then a guy yelled - yes - the mile has started - go!  So we started running again.  And got nowhere fast.  We made it about .1 again and stopped.  There were just too many people and we couldn't run fast.  At all.  So I suggested to the boys that we wait a few minutes, go back to the start and race our own mile.  Who cares about time at this point?  James and Jacob (friend) agreed, but Jake was really upset since he wanted to race fast and win a medal.

Me coming in for the finish - James is right behind me in blue.

We got to the starting area and John got us started.  We actually felt pretty bad ass running by ourselves.  :)  Unfortunately I went out a little too fast.  I looked at my watch .3 in as I was cranking up the sole small hill.  5:40 pace.  Ooops, I started backing off, but I think the fast start burned both of the boys.  I was able to hold it together and finish in 6:08.  James was 6:30 and Jacob finished in 7:40 (he stopped and walked a bit).      The heat wasn't bad while we were running - but the humidity was oppressive and it was hard to breathe.  All three of us were completely dripping in sweat even though we only ran one mile.


After that, we were disappointed, but glad that we ran hard anyway.  It will be interesting to see what our actual race times will be.  The winner of the mile race crossed as the clock said :19.  My guess is we'll all be around 12-14 minutes since we did a little restart.  :)

Once I got home I hit the trail for a cool down.  I was only going for 40 minutes, but I took 2 water bottles with me.  It was already in the 90s "feels like" 100 zone.  I put down all of the water I had, but interesting, I felt pretty good even though I was running 8:50s.  This is definitely the most acclimated I have ever felt in the heat.  Hopefully that will bode well over the summer.


Later this afternoon, we are heading out to watch John's band play.  I cannot imagine trying to set up equipment and play in this heat (they are outside in full sun).  It is already over 100 degrees and is supposed to feel like 108 by 3:00.  Nuts.  Stay cool.

And have a wonderful Fourth of July!

No comments: