Thursday, March 15, 2012

I was feeling a bit beat up by this time last week, even though it was a cut back week. This week is a race prep week, which apparently means even more of a cut-back. Stated another way, coach has gifted me with a mini taper in the midst of my training. And right before I get to the most intense work.

Boy did I need it too. I have done a lot of stretching this week and now, I am feeling really great. This is making me optimistic about my race on Saturday, which is fun. Who knows what the day will bring, but I know I am looking forward to it.

Today was another gorgeous 70+ degree day. I waited until after work to run and tried to coax James into going with me. They were already setting up a water balloon battle, and yeah, I knew my odds were miniscule. So I threw on a singlet, my new brooks running shorts and my racing flats. I don't usually wear my racing flats (which aren't really flats, but are very light and minimal compared to my trainers), but I wanted to give them a test drive before Saturday.

It was amazing how gorgeous weather, lightweight clothes and racing shoes can give a girl some serious running mojo. I felt light and quick. Yup, when I looked at my Garmin .5 in, I was at a 7:45 pace. And I felt awesome. I scaled it back and enjoyed a wonderful run. It is very nice to know I quickly transitioned from sore and a bit burnt out to light on my feet and ready to go in just 2 weeks. Even if I do not have a great race on Saturday, it is already giving me confidence about my end goal.

This is good.


No comments: