Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Home Stretch!

Wow - I will be travelling to Eugene in just a few short days. It seems kind of surreal even though my training season has been going on so long - or so it seems.

I haven't done a very good job blogging about my training. But it has gone well overall. I think. Of course now - today particularly - I am starting to get that weird oh shit taper worry. Did I train enough? (yes); Did I hit enough key workouts? (meh, probably not but maybe); Did I nail some decent tune-up races? (yup, but nothing spectacular).

So where am I?

Freakin' excited. I can't WAIT to go to Eugene. I am thrilled the whole family is coming with me. In fact, we are all going to run the 5K on Saturday morning. And I am setting up plans for a meet-up with Duck (thanks dude you rock!). And I am meeting up with my cousin and his wife who live in Portland at some point too. Woot.

I have to admit though, today, as I started settling into full taper mode, I was totally unmotivated to go out and run. It was a spectacular day, but I wanted to slouch on my arse all day truth be told. The good news is that once I got out there, I had an AwEsOmE run.

I may have a great race in me next weekend if the stars align for me.

Here are the highlights of the last few months:

8 weeks in the 50+ range.
1 week at 66
1 week at 75

Tune-ups:

10Ks: 46:04 (very hilly); 44:58 (mostly flat, but very windy); 46:12 (hilly, but just off)

5K: 21:35

These aren't spectacular race times for me, but if I look back at Chicago 2009 (PR), all of my races were flat. I'll attribute that to high mileage (for me) and hope that I am ready to go.

Yup, Rawr. I'm going to kick some ass.

6 comments:

Jen Jones said...

I'm excited for your race! I know you'll have a great one!

Enjoy the marathon, Eugene is a fun one. The hotel is in a PERFECT location to test out the course a bit. Also, the shuttle they ran to the start last year was great!!

Maria said...

I think you're in a really great spot with this one, very jealous about your travel & the race. Rest well this week and let 'er rip next Sunday!! I forget, do you finish in Hayward?

GOOD LUCK!!

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

I can't wait to hear what you think about Eugene. Your training has been super solid and I bet good things are going to happen next week! So excited for you!

Mindi said...

Thanks! Maria - the finish is on the track at Hayward Field. I am so geeked out about it too. :)

Greg said...

The hay is in the barn. Enjoy your trip and kick butt on Sunday!

Kel said...

Have a great race!