Monday, April 4, 2011

The Game Plan

Things are starting to come together. Quite nicely, too.

Training started out pretty rocky for me, but I have been able to log 7 weeks with over 50 mpw; 1 week of 66 miles and 1 week of 75. Not too shabby. I worry a little bit because I have ramped up my mileage without any sort of rational graduation. And I don't intend to sustain it for long. But I do hope my last 2 mileage bumps help me out on race day. I feel confident they will though.

Here is my week last week:

M: rest

T: 11 (9:10) / arms and abs. I wanted to do 2 separate runs but did not have time.

W: 12 with 4 x 1200 meters; 2 min rec (5:03; 5:10; 5:07; 5:07).

R: 6 recovery am (10:00) / 2 pm with GOTR - including some striders :)

F: 15 (9:07)

Sa: 8.25 recovery (9:31)

Su: 21 (9:22)

Total: 75.5

By Sunday my legs were logs and I was slow, but my HR was nice and low. That is the number that matters to me by the end of a long week like that.

So, I now have less than 4 weeks to go. Here is the plan:

This week - I want to be in the neighborhood of 60 mpw, but intend to do a mini taper for my 10K on Saturday. This is likely my last tune-up race, so I will err on the side of rest if necessary.

Next week - taper time starts! But the first week never feels like a real cut-back and I'll probably hit around 45-50 miles. Then I hit the taper much harder. And hopefully I'll drop a couple more pounds. I finally dropped 3 lbs and imagine I will lose one or two more after last week and this week. With the extra mileage and intervals, it certainly seems likely. I just need to not be a pig. :)

3 comments:

Maria said...

I'm totally of your last week!! You're looking to be in great shape for Eugene, hope this week's 10K is another good indicator. Rest up (when not running) :)

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Damn, girl! 75 miles is alot! You are so inspiring that you can do that, plus work, plus GOTR, plus be a super awesome mom to your boys!

So excited for you in Eugene. It will be a great race and a super fun family trip for you!

Mindi said...

Thanks so much ladies!!!

If there is one thing a 75 mile week does, it is remind me I could never do this several weeks in a row!!