Wednesday, May 5, 2010

What do chickens eat?

Seriously. This is an important question. Well, maybe not important, but a question nonetheless. As I was making dinner tonight, I saw the chicken I had purchased was being branded as "this chicken was fed a 100% vegetarian diet." What?

I didn't realize chickens were typically carnivores. Duh, because they aren't. Although I admit I don't really know what they eat, but I always assumed they ate grass and seeds. I asked my 7 year old and he was very annoyed with me for asking, but ultimately decided on worms. Hmm. Would eating worms make a species a meat-eater? And what is the benefit of eating chicken with a vegetarian diet if obviously you are not eating a vegetarian diet. Not sure I follow the marketing here. Is it that chicken are now fed some crazy patented "feed" that they are now switching up?

****
Alright, enough of that. Onto a totally disgusting subject (sorry in advance): my feet. I mentioned on kickrunners today how I couldn't get a pedicure because I didn't think I could subject the pedicurist to my nasty feet. My feet are generally icky. They never used to be pre-running, but now it is what it is. I typically lose a toenail or two after the marathon if it has any sort of hills (I was unscathed after Chicago). Now, my kids get totally grossed out by my toe nail issues because I have no problem rippin' em off if it is time (hey, it promotes new growth and doesn't hurt).

After Boston, one toe nail was bright purple by the time I finished he race. When we got home from Boston, my little purple toe was hurting. Too much pressure. The boys were checking it out in great disgust and I pulled up on it ever so slightly. BAM! Blood spatter everywhere. Hahahahaha. Well that has never happened before!! My kids were totally and completely disgusted. My pain was instantly relieved. And I relished in my kids' disgust. Hey, those are my battle wounds! :) Is that terrible or what?!

Needless to say, the good news is the darn thing came clean off today. It was a beautiful thing. And my kids think I am nuts, but the little things make me happy. Who needs 'em anyway?!

How do you take care of your runnin feet?

1 comment:

Maria said...

I can provide no feet advice, mine are in a constant state of disrepair. I can tell you about those chickens though - many feedlots create an almost science experiment worthy meal for the chickens they're raising, sometimes including chicken in the meal. :( I like the idea of worms tho!