Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Content

Woo hoo! Seriously, I am feeling good boys and girls. After being a bit down the last couple of days, I think I am coming out on the other side in a big way. As most of you know, I am a generally upbeat person. But, yeah, I was feeling a little bit crappy about Boston. I did salvage the race, I did have fun, and I had a great time while there. But I was annoyed that I fell apart and didn't race well. Was it mental? Was it dehydration? Was I less fit than I thought (hoped for)? Yeah, probably a combo. And that sucks. It just does. No pity party, just a downright dammit for a couple of days.

But I think I have it out of my system now. Why? First, all the support has been awesome. From fellow runners. From people I hardly know stopping me on the street telling me they tracked me in Boston. From my awesome family.

It also helped that I had a simply kick ass run tonight. I hit snooze this morning because I was exhausted and well, I am in recovery mode!! I'm not getting up at 5:00 am today, thank you! :) I got home from work around 6:10, strapped on my HRM and was pleased as pie to see it at 53. Haven't seen that number in a LONG time. :) It always amazes me what a few days of serious rest will do. Hit the streets and my legs felt strong and swift. Since it was an absolutely gorgeous evening, lots of people were out and about and saying hello. I love that. There are lots of people in my town that I chat with while running - I have no idea what their names are or what they do. But we see each other, say hello, etc. I really love that. Tonight, one guy I see all the time with his 2 yellow labs asked me: "how far tonight?"

Me: "only 5;"
Him: "that's it?!"
Me: "I'm recovering - just ran the Boston Marathon last Monday"
Him: "Wow - very cool! Have a great night"
Me: "Thanks, you too!"

A ten second conversation (if that long) between strangers just out of pure kindness and familiarity. That stuff is what it's all about. And it makes me happy. And content.

Happy running.

And good luck to my peeps running Illinois and Eugene this weekend. I wish the races had athlete tracking. Even more, I wish I could be there to cheer you on!! I will be in spirit though and waiting on the edge of my chair to hear about how all you awesome ladies kicked @ss!

2 comments:

Mindi said...

Haha. Yeah, I avoided posting the last coupla days because I don't want to whine in "public." :)

Maria said...

YAY!!!