Thursday, April 22, 2010

No race report....yet

Just got back from Boston last night and had a seminar I had to present at today. Lots of fun overall, but not enough time to digest my training and culmination into Boston 2010. It will come, but with it, I want the "looking ahead" aspect too. I am not yet sure what that will be, but I am getting there.

In the interim, I have many thoughts, as my Boston trip was nothing short of sensational. Met up with lots of kickrunners - a real highlight. I love runners. No matter where they are from, we are a special breed.

My kids and family rock. I don't need to expand much on that. But they do.

Whew, sometimes life can just take you by surprise. We rented a "town car" to the airport from Boston to Providence rather than take a cab. No kidding, a guy shows up an hour early (much to my distress). Get in the at least 25 year old "town car" with no shocks. Boys and I are in the back (no booster seats of course) and this dude is swerving all over the road. Oh sh!t. This is an hour drive. So I think he may just be a relatively clueless older dude. 20 minutes into the drive, this thing starts beeping like mad. Then he starts breathing into a tube. WTF?! He tells us it is a mandatory breathalyzer and if he doesn't pass (or doesn't take it) car will shut off in 5 minutes. Isn't that awesome. Are you freaking kidding me?!?! We get to Providence and I-95 was under construction. His Garmin was giving bad directions so he started doing circles around it. Finally John had to tell him to stop looking at the Garmin and follow the road signs. Guy was flustered as can be, but let me tell you, when we finally came to a stop at the airport I was thanking my lucky stars. Was flustered for several hours after that. Seriously, as I write this, I still am. Grrrr.

On a better note, we made it home. My boys were so happy to be home but LOVED Boston. They will never forget this trip. This is what its all about.

Tonight I stopped in at my Girls on the Run training. I was inundated with cheers and big hugs.

I am one lucky girl. :)

2 comments:

Greg said...

"20 minutes into the drive, this thing starts beeping like mad. Then he starts breathing into a tube."

That sounds like a sitcom! I'm glad you and your boys are in one piece.

Mindi said...

It was surreal. And really flipping scary. I was seriously rattled for a couple hours after that. I mean, what kind of company sends a driver like that?!?