Monday, April 19, 2010

Marathon #10 is in the books

No time for a full race report, but here is the down and dirty version:

  • Got 6 hours of sleep and felt great this morning.
  • No problem getting to Hopkinton]
  • Within 3 minutes of getting to Athlete's Village, I ran into local friends (bonus!)
  • Weather throughout was perfect.
  • Felt like I was holding back nicely first miles - felt great.
  • Saw Maria just after the 10K!
  • Saw family just after 7 - stopped and gave both boys hugs and kisses (a real highlight of race!)
  • Breathing felt great, but felt really parched by mile 8.
  • Continued slowing down and going by feel, but by this point I knew a fast race was not in the cards.
  • Saw people from all over the world - very cool.
  • Recalled that this is one damn tough course.
  • Wellesly was not nearly as loud from a distance this year, but it did make me lose my breath running through - not because I sped up, because of the sheer energy.
  • Probably slapped 2,000 little kids hands and smiled at everyone I saw. I felt kinda crappy, but loved it when people yelled, "you look so strong, great smile!"
  • Um, not enough BodyGlide. By mile 10, both my underarms were KILLING me.
  • As I slowed, I started walking through the water stops and took it nice and easy. Goal was became solely to finish and finish strong.
  • Saw my family at mile 20.xx. A MUCH needed shot in the arm. Was feeling kinda dizzy then, but they told me to get moving. So I did.
  • Boston College kicks ass.
  • Slapped another 2000 outstreched hands probably. They almost ripped my arms off, but it was well worth it.
  • I never stopped on Heartbreak Hill.
  • Stopped to walk through a water break at 23.xx and a guy next to me started chatting. Wouldn't you know he lives in the same tiny Wisconsin town I do?! :)
  • Ran next to a guy in a Superman t-shirt. The spectators went nuts.
  • Finished strong, but as I was turning around 25.75, my L calf started to cramp up (never has happened before). Fortunately it stopped and I finished strong. Last .2x at 6:5x pace. :)
  • Was a fun race and am very proud.
Thanks for your support. I thought of you all during my run.

4 comments:

Greg said...

Congrats. Now, rest up!

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Yeah!!! When I saw your time slow down, I was hoping you had switched into fun mode and that you weren't hurt. Sounds like it was a super fun experience! Congrats on #10!!!

Mindi said...

Thanks! No injury (although I sure have a pronounced gimp today), just noo fast run in the cards for me. The time was bittersweet, but I did enjoy the crowds and a fast finish.

Maria said...

Your energy & smile are amazing!!!! It was so great meeting you and seeing you at 10K!! I'm glad to hear you had a fun Boston experience, it's unbelievable for sure!!