Sunday, September 6, 2009

Matters of the Heart

Heart disease, otherwise known as cornonary artery disease, is the number 1 killer of men and women in the US. Why am I talking about this? Because it also runs in my family. Unfortunately both my uncle and grandfather died at very young ages from heart attack. My grandmother also had a heart attack at 49, along with multiple subsequent strokes.

When my uncle died a few years ago, a doctor recommended that we all get various tests done to help predict whether we have any of the risk factors. Well I ignored that for several years. But given that as I get older and know more and more people getting sick or dying, I decided I better take a stronger lead on my own health. And just because I run all the time does not mean I am not ask risk. Just ask Jim Fixx or Voodoo Joe's families.

As I mentioned, I have a significant family history of heart disease. But there are also other important factors, such as smoking, sedentary life styles and a tendency to be over weight. None of these things are helpful to the old ticker. Fortunately, I do not have any of those issues.

When I went to the doctor (a new one I hadn't seen), she thought I was a bit nuts when I requested various tests. She said if I could run 60 miles a week, I must be fine. She'd just order a new lipid panel, and if it was off, then they could sonogram the heart. Later that day, she called me saying she read up on it more and was going to order a full lipid panel, a glucose test (diabetes - that too runs in the fam), c-reactive protein test and an enhanced homocysteine test.

The test required a 12 hour fast, and I went in last Monday. I received the results this week and, for the most part, they were great. My lipid panel (cholesterol) was good. Actually, my results across the board were even better than in 2005 when I had it done. The glucose and c-reactive protein results were also "excellent." However, my homocysteine level was elevated (11, with top range being 10). Great. The doctor recommended a multivitamin with folic acid, B-6 and B-12.

I already take a regular multi-vitamin, but I got an "active" complex that has higher levels of those 3 ingredients. It scares me a bit though because apparently homocysteine is a "key marker" for heart disease, even when lipid panel results are normal. However, my doctor told me she was reluctant to do the test because it often has false results. Factors that can lead to false results are any inflammation - including muscular. Not only did I have a head cold when I got the test done, but I also just finished a 70 mile week. Don't know if that is related.

For now I am just researching and trying to figure out what it all means. I guess this is precisely why people don't get these types of tests done.....

Update: Did some more research and inflammation should have nothing to do with homocysteine - that is the c reactive test. But it looks like 11 is only slightly elevated. In fact, some believe the upper limit is 13. I will do my best to bring it down, but I am not as concerned as I initially was.

For now, I am off to run a 21 miler to cap off a peak week week. The good news is that my HR has finally dropped over the last 2 weeks. I am relatively tired and running slow, but I have seen a significant decrease. My HR hasn't been this low since 2007 when I was piling on the miles. The cooler weather also helps, but it is definitely the miles that are responsible. Yay! Perhaps I am really getting into shape after all! 5 weeks to Steamtown.

2 comments:

Adam said...

Good news on your tests. Have you seen http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/? Great blog by a cardiologist.

Mindi said...

Thanks Adam! I had not seen it.