Saturday, June 6, 2009

Wrapping Up a Recovery Period

Running really does make you feel better. I was really cranky today. Thank you running.

From the moment I woke up this morning, the kids were hell bent on protesting just about everything. And my little one had a serious attitude. I have been relatively stressed out anyway this week, so it did not go over well. By 2:00 I was pretty much just in an uncharacteristic, sour mood. So I laced up my shoes and hit the road. Everything felt a bit stiff and I *almost* turned around and said forget it. I am so glad I didn't. By mile 2, my HR settled in nicely, the weather was perfect (55, breezy and sprinkling), and all and all I felt good. And of course it gave me the opportunity to chill out and clear my head.

This week is my last recovery week. Next week starts marathon training and my training for the Capitol Mile. Woo Hoo.

Here is how this week went:

M: rest/pilates/arms
T: 8.2 (9:12)
W: 10 (8:54) / arms
R: rest / pilates
F: 8.2 (8:58) / arms
Sa: 8.2 (8:47)

All of my runs were in near perfect weather and all of them were somewhat progressive. Tomorrow I hope to log 15 and change to hit 50 miles for the week. I have also been doing abs and side weights daily. Bumped up the arms again. It is my goal to tone them back up. Still slacking some on the buns/thighs pilates. I know I SHOULD do it because my R hamstring has been tight since I stopped doing it religiously... but it is hard for me to get down and do it. Don't know why. Hopefully that will all improve. I have a plan in place for the next training season - time to hit it with conviction!

With that said, here is a recap of my mileage for the last 8 weeks:

Illinois Marathon week
1. 18.4
2. 23
3. 18.4 (Crazylegs 8K: 36:36)
4. 38.4
5. 31.1 (Run for the Rock 5K: 21:49)
6. 45.5 (Madison Half Marathon: 1:40:35)
7. 34.2 (Race for the Cure 5K: 21:50)
8. 34.6 currently - hoping to hit 50 after tomorrow.

My recovery was not as I had planned, but I am feeling well rested. I think I did this right. Plus, even though I am nowhere near my 5K pr, it is nice to be back under 22.

Looking ahead and setting goals:

Capitol Mile 09: Break 6
Fall Marathon: 3:25
Generally: hit a PR, any PR! :)

No comments: