Monday, June 1, 2009

Race for the Cure 2009 was amazing. It is always one of my favorite races of the year as the cause is near and dear to my heart. We ran on my friend Tania's team. This year's race marked the three year anniversary of her own breast cancer diagnosis. She has been on a mission and walked several Komen 3-Days (and is actually hoping to complete 3 this year!). But for this year's Madison RFTC, she was going to run her first 5K - something she thought impossible. Well, it was a pure joy to see her and her husband (and actually their son about .3 miles ahead of them) finish. Amazing.

*****

My race was good. Solid. Nothing spectacular, but decent. I ran a 21:50. Then I met up with my boys and 2 nephews who did the one mile walk. Well, they sprinted. Cute. Fun. Awesome. Amazing.

And despite there being 12,000+ participants, I ran into so many friends. Very fun.

*****

Yeah, but I also realized this weekend I have definitely entered "middle age." No, I don't know what the specific parameters of "middle age" are, but I am the person I would have labelled as "old" when I was a kid. Ugh. It is funny too because James keeps asking me if me and Daddy will have another baby. HELL NO! Okay, I don't say that, but I do say no way Jose ever so subtly. The good news about this middle age stuff is your kids can finally roll will things. We have lots of fun stuff going on. I'll take it, crows feet and all. Ugh.

****

This week: last week of freedom. I plan to start training next week. Ideally, I'd hit 50 miles. Likely? No way. I have a conference early tomorrow and b/w John and I we have events almost every night this week. But I will enjoy this freedom. The last 7 weeks have actually been awesome.

I meant to read through some new plans tonight and maybe tweak things up, but of course I forgot everything at work as I rushed out to get kids to swimming lessons.

****

Anyone heard of Girls on the Run? I have been interested in it for quite some time. It is a self esteem builder for young girls as they train for their first 5K. I may have to rally to get a program in my town. I'd love to coach... I'm sure my boys would be good assistants.

1 comment:

Greg said...

You can't be middle-aged. I'm older than you! Seriously, there are some advantages. Ours are 9 and 11. We went to the pool on Saturday and the kids swam while we read. In two hours, I think we checked on them once or twice (mainly to make sure the boy wasn't drowning his sister). A few years ago I would have been watching them like a hawk the whole time.