Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Slacker

So it has only been 4 days since Illinois, but I feel like a COMPLETE slacker for not getting out for a run yet. My husband wanted me to go yesterday and today with him, but my quads are still feeling pretty shredded. I realize there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking several days off, but I also have this overwhelming feeling of being a lazy slack. But alas, I know it is critical to listen to my body right now so I don't pull anything. Ugh. How long do you typically take off after a marathon?

In other news, I have been busy planning! I have a new schedule for the next 7 weeks, which includes several races. Check it out:

4/25: Crazylegs Classic 8K (just for fun with my work team)

5/02: Lake Monona 20K (effort will depend on how my recovery goes)

5/24: Madison 1/2 Marathon (goal race)

05/31: Race for the Cure 5K (for fun).

Then I am going to start Capitol Mile training and fall marathon training. I am seriously eyeing Steamtown.

Good luck to everyone running Boston Monday. I know I am going to get absolutely nothing done at work as I will be tracking everyone!! Be sure to send me your bib#. I am still praying to the weather gods that the forecasted winds dissipate.

Upate on my OTD Self! Just talked to my husband and they already had weddings and shows booked throughout October! Dammit. The October 10 gig was brand new and unconfirmed, so I jumped in and gave it the boot! AND I just registered for Steamtown. AND Chicago as a backup (weather, work, whatever, Chi-town is 2.5 hours away). May be a HUGE waste of $125 for chi-town, but I waited too long last year. Ultimate goal is Steamtown. Full steam ahead, baby!!!

2 comments:

Kel said...

It usually takes me about 2-3 days to recover from a trail marathon even though it's typically harder work than smooth, flat (relatively) roads.

My only road marathon took about 2 weeks, even though I was younger and in better shape.

Keep listening to your body - if you're not ready to pound the pavement yet, perhaps some cross training will do the trick. Or, you can try running trails ;)

Greg said...

I've taken more time off with each race. The last one I first ran on Friday after a Saturday race (and that was a trail marathon).

My coach's schedule has me *walking* 30-40 minutes a day for like a week before even cross-training. My first run back is the 30th (Boston is on the 20th). I'm actually looking forward to the down time.