Friday, December 3, 2010

Week 1 is well underway and all is going well. As I have run this week, I have had many thoughts and observations regarding my training and running, so I wanted to share them with you here.

  1. I finally feel like I have my running mojo back. Yay! I am slow and my heart rate is high, but I am enjoying getting back into the rhythm of training and I have high aspirations for Eugene.
  2. What are those aspirations you ask? 3:25 again. Maybe even a little less. I really think I can do it if everything else goes right.
  3. What do you mean everything else? Miles, of course. But more than that, I need to really lose a couple of pounds and be extra careful with my nutrition and hydration. And I need a lot more sleep.

So my fitness goals include: longer than normal training program with more early weeks of base-building and tempo; more hills and the Pfitz schedule that has always treated me kindly.

My nutrition goals include: more water AND electrolytes; less coffee, sugar and alcohol. I also need to get back to a more basic, nutritional diet with more veggies and plain meats. I was very good at this when I was the cook around here. I need to get back at it. Not only for me, but for the rest of the family as well.

So pretty simple, no? Yeah right - especially the nutrition goals. It really is hard to make adjustments when you get into certain routines. But so far, this week is going well.

I have not yet figured out the logistics for Eugene yet. Looks like it will be long travel days and expensive, so I likely will not bring the boys. Although we'll see since I'd love to show them that part of the country and they are getting much better about spectating longer races. John is definitely coming with me. I am bummed Cindi is out - but maybe we'll get to meet up at Arkansas. I still need to check it out.

Oh, and first challenge for long run starts this weekend. We are supposed to get hit with lots of snow tonight and tomorrow. Bring it.

Happy Friday. :)

2 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Sounds like a great start to the training. Lots of solid ideas that I'm sure will help you get that sub-3:25. I need to focus on nutrition more too.

I would like to do Eugene, but it just wouldn't be ideal with Grandma's in June. I hope you can swing it to do Little Rock HM as a tune up race!

Jen Jones said...

You are going to love the race! You should stay where we stayed last year (I'll find the name if you want). It is right ON the course at mile 17/18!!!!! We had a river side room on the bottom floor, so I was literally 5 feet from our room during the race. It cracked me up!

Nutrition is the most overlooked thing in marathon training, in my opinion. I can't even explain how much better we feel when we eat 100% clean, organic, vegan!

Enjoy the training!!!!!!!!