Saturday, October 17, 2009

I haven't run in a whole week

And I really don't feel like doing it yet, so I probably won't go today either. Crazy, huh?

I was wicked sore on Monday. You know, the blown over by a Mack truck feeling. I had to focus really hard not to look like I was limping. It was hard sitting at my desk for a couple hours, then getting up.

Tuesday was better. Easier to walk, but the muscle soreness was much more acute.

Wednesday was much better. I wasn't really sore at all and probably could have run if I wanted to. I also had minor surgery on my back to remove a mole. Well, the surgery was much more extensive than I had expected it to be. I have a 3.5 inch incision across my back and lots of stitches. By Wednesday night, it hurt like mad.

Thursday my back really hurt. My legs were a lot better though. I had two events to go to after work and was able to break out my cool black boots.

Friday my L quad was feeling the effects of said cool black boots (with 3.5 inch heels). :) Back was much better though.

Today I was going to take my oldest son to his soccer game, but he decided to throw a huge fit. Fun times. So instead I have been on a rip cleaning out cupboards/closets/etc. My L quad still kind of hurts and I'm not sure I even feel like running. So we'll see.

And now I need to plan what's next. I was thinking of running Boston 2010 as my 10th marathon. Doing it on relatively light training (18/55) and running it just for fun and taking in all the sights. But now I'm not so sure because I don't know many people going. What spring marathon are you doing?

Good luck to all the racers this weekend! And congrats again to Salty on her marathon win last weekend!!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Unfortunately, the flu has hit the house and me, so I'm not sure what running I'll be doing this weekend.

I do have a bizarre desire to go out for a few miles (I'm on Tamiflu so everything's a bit muted), but every time I say that my wife looks at me like I'm a freak.

Spring marathon? Probably the Bob Potts Rail to Trail on May 15. Small, local and flat.

Of course, that assumes a healthy winter of training...

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

I'm thinking of Flying Pig on May 2nd. Have you done that one?

Quinto Sol said...

I am running Paris... I had a rotten time the first time, so I am hoping to redeem myself...

Jen Jones said...

I've barely done anything for the past two weeks! Holy long recovery...but it's important. It's easy to get swept up into chasing fitness, but once or twice a year taking a week or two off is key to continued improvement, I think.

Good luck picking out your next marathon. I'm also in trying to nail down my 2010 plans...there are just so many good choices, it's tough!

Mindi said...

Marcus - ick - I hope you feel better soon!

Cindi - hmmmm. I have heard Flying Pig is great.....

QS - can I fit in your suitcase?!?!

Jen - thanks. I know it is so important, I just can't believe I am not climbing the walls at this point. I can tell you I really needed the break - and the sleep! I slept for 10 hours last night!

Greg said...

Every time I run a marathon, I take more time off afterwards. I used to try and do at least 13 the Sunday after and now I don't do anything for a week. I did some 30 minutes walks last time and I liked that.

I'm doing the B&A trail marathon (near annapolis, md) on 7 March.

A Deal Or No Deal said...

I'm probably doing Seoul in March. The entry is cheap and the course is beautiful and mostly flat, but they don't have any drinks with calories. I recommend it. Lots of sights to take in.