Sunday, May 25, 2008

No Wall and a Big Fat Smile!

Finishing time = 3:46:07. I missed my BQ by 8 seconds! Crazy! Had I known I was that close I would have definitely pushed it, but I accidentally turned off my Garmin at mile 2 and was just winging it from there! Lucky for me I was a fast one last fall, so I am already in!

Today was a great race. The weather was great. OK, a bit warm for a marathon and the last few miles were very windy, but it was a really fun time for me.

I got in my car on the way to the race and was a bit freaked out about what lie ahead. So I had to have a little talk with myself, if you will. Going into a marathon with self-doubt is not going to do anyone any good. Fix the attitude or don't bother toeing the line. So I made some mental adjustments, cranked some fun tunes and got in the mood to race. As I turned toward my building by the capital square and saw all the runners, I was pumped. So it was a good start and a very fun race.

I decided to nix the HRM. While the data would have been cool, I didn't need any extra anything to cause me to worry. So I decided to just go by feel - not some prescribed number (finish time, pace or heart rate). It was a good decision.

I ran with roots most of the time (or just in front of the 3:50) - the group was a bit too big for me to get enmeshed in as I am not a big fan of dodge and weave. Roots also did awesome and finished within seconds of the 3:50 goal.

I finished strong, felt good and was so glad I did it. :) Thanks to you all for the support!

Oh yes, and my son ran the kids run and did awesome. And he lost his first tooth today. Celebrations abound.

OH YEAH! A 2+ minute negative split. Very good for my soul. (Not so much the soles - this was a hilly course and my feet are rocked).

8 comments:

A Deal Or No Deal said...

Solid race Mindi, well done. Good thing you don't need the qualifying time.

Kel said...

Congrats on a beautiful day! And yes, negative splits are good for the soul :)

Collin Kromke said...

Funny. I had the same problems with my feet because of all the hills, and I normally don't have blistering issues.

Nice job on the race. Sorry about the 8 second deficit, but what are you gonna do when you don't have an accurate time on the Garmin. I know quite a few people who struggled with their technology out there today!

Miraculously, my Garmin actually said exactly 26.22 when I stopped it at the finish. That's the first time it's been RIGHT ON at the end of any race.

Jay Edgar said...

Congratulations Mindi! You did a great job!

Quinto Sol said...

Nice job out there... I looked for you at the start but could not find any bib with your name on it. And yes, the course was more difficult than I anticipated; it was quite scenic nonetheless.

Greg said...

Great job, Mindi! I wish I could nonchalantly come so close to a BQ :-)

keith said...

Well done!

Quinto Sol said...

BTW, you son has one terrific running form.

I guess I thought I would see/find you at the start or at the finish. Maybe in the next race.