Friday, January 18, 2008

Now this is just ridiculous

I know Salty had a lot of nice things to say about winter running. And I appreciate those things. Really I do. However, when the information below popped into my inbox this morning, well, you've got to be kidding, right?

TODAY:
Becoming mostly cloudy, breezy, and much colder with periods of light snow and flurries developing; less than an inch of accumulation.

High: 14 at midday, then slowly falling temperatures into the single digits by evening
Wind: SW 5-15 MPH AM; NW 12-22 MPH PM; Wind Chills: -5 to -15

TONIGHT:
***WIND CHILL ADVISORY FOR SOUTHWESTERN WISCONSIN BEGINNING AT 6 PM, AND FOR SOUTH-CENTRAL AND SOUTHEASTERN WISCONSIN BEGINNING AT MIDNIGHT***

Partly cloudy and bitterly cold.
Low: -8
Wind: WNW 10-20 MPH; Wind Chills: -15 to -30

SATURDAY:
***WIND CHILL ADVISORY THROUGH 6 PM FOR SOUTHWESTERN WISCONSIN, AND THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT FOR SOUTH-CENTRAL AND SOUTHEASTERN WISCONSIN***

Sunny and bitterly cold.
High: 1
Wind: W 10-18 MPH AM; 6-12 MPH PM; Wind Chills: -10 to -30

SUNDAY:
Partly sunny and very cold; (flurries or light snow developing Sunday night).
Low: -15
High: 6; Wind Chills: -10 to -25

MONDAY:
Mostly cloudy and cold with periods of light snow.
Low: -2
High: 12; Wind Chills: -5 to -15

TUESDAY:
Partly sunny and cold.
Low: -2
High: 12; Wind Chills: -5 to -15

WEDNESDAY:
Cloudy and cold with flurries or light snow.
Low: 3
High: 11; Wind Chills: +5 to -5

THURSDAY:
Sunny and bitterly cold.
Low: -7
High: 10; Wind Chills: 0 to -15

13 comments:

The Salty One said...

Oops. Maybe I spoke too soon?

I did a long run last year in -25 degree windchill. It was about 4 degrees or something but REALLY windy. I think it would have been tolerable with the right clothes on without the wind. The wind was just wretched but I had my wind jacket and a gator around my neck, my blue hat and my good mittens and I made it in once piece. I'll tell you the pancakes tasted EXTRA good that day!

I'm not sure what my cut off is for running in the cold. We're supposed to be down to like 3 degrees on Sunday morning. If I don't have to work (I might--blech!) then I will get out there and report back pronto :)

Getting back to pancakes, maybe we should make this weekend the official run long in the cold and then eat pancakes weekend to entice us out there!

Mindi said...

I'm in for the weekend run/pancake challenge!

sage said...

I ran on the TM this morning. It was actually pretty warm out (12, wind chill -3 or something) but it had snowed just a little bit & I'm a klutz, so I didn't want to fall.

I'm too chicken to run outside tomorrow. Depending on which weather you consult, it'll be -10 or -15 in the morning with -25 to -50 wind chill. Uh uh, no way.

I'm up for pancakes, though. :)

Anonymous said...

Can I just eat the pancakes and skip the running? It's suppose to snow 1 whole inch tomorrow here. And be 32 degrees. Brrrr...

Anonymous said...

What a horrendous forecast!! I am weaker than Salty - anything below zero and I am indoors.

Your treadmill sounds great!

Good luck with the new job ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh - I am in for pancakes this weekend too :)

Bridget

joe positive said...

I feel y'all's pain. It's going to be in the 40s or something here on Sunday!!!!!!!!

mainers said...

i'm with Joseph on this one

similar forecast to his too (sorry Northerners!)

on a related issue, it snowed here yesterday, we got about a quarter of an inch.... and they closed the schools!!

CoachT said...

I need to get a long run in this weekend, but it'll be 30 degrees here in Connecticut. I guess I have no excuses.

Can I still have a pancake?

Jennifer said...

As I wrote in Salty's blog, I am SO glad I don't have to deal with these kind of winters. I'll admit it-- I'm a winter-running wimp. Even in our not-so-cold rainy winters, I'll retreat to the treadmill for 2-3 runs/week.

Good luck with it. And I'd love to share some of those pancakes. :)

The Salty One said...

10 miles in a blustery snowy 22 degrees and now I'm enjoying those pancakes as I type! Yum!

PS Bridget is not allowed to ever say she's weaker than me when she's running a 6:15 mile in her warm-up :)

A Deal Or No Deal said...

My brother's been in Milwaukee for the last few weeks. Having worked in many other American cities, he says it's the only one that feels like Canada, because of the cold.

I feel your pain, mostly on my hands. There was a week-long cold snap like that last year where I almost lost the use of my hands after running everyday. It's really not that bad though, and it's a part of the year I look forward to.

Really, how often can you say you risked your life just by leaving the house?

Hubitron said...

Yeah, I totally wussed out on doing an outdoor track workout this morning. It wasn't as bad here in Chicago, but still -15 with windchill. When the track is as hard as the concrete, I have to put my feet down someplace else.